Thursday, November 15, 2007

Must write or risk death.

So, been far too long since I've been back here. I started a new job and found myself greatly removed from the impulse to blog that had been driving me earlier. However, there is always something to discuss in video games. One of the things I happened upon yesterday that somewhat set me off was Gabe's news post on Penny Arcade. He has some major issues with several reviews of Assassin's Creed, a game that had been advertised on PA in the past. Now, you can certainly object to the opinions of the review itself and disagree with the reviewer. However, Gabe firstly seems to believe that the reviewers are unable to remember that they are playing a game they should be enjoying and not just focus on finishing a game for review. While that is likely true in some cases, it seems unlikely that it happened as many times as there were reviews that called AC repetitive. He also seems to believe that the reviewers didn't like the ending, because they must not have watched all the way past the credits. He did and he thought the story was "teh awesomzors!" Maybe, maybe they just didn't like it. Why would you assume that anything you enjoy is going to be enjoyable to others? Yeah, I don't really agree with him at all. Reviews are subjective and that is the way it will always be. Some reviewers found the game repetitive and that lowered their score. Gabe says they are wrong essentially, which is total crap. Let them review the game and don't complain just because you liked it.

I'll try to update with some more later, but I got work to do.

No comments: