Friday, September 28, 2007

Places you should be going, regularly for your video game goodness.

So I figured it would be a good idea to link to some of the great places I go for news, messageboard fanboyism, journalism, the inside scoop, and general gaming goodness.

First stop of the day, Gamasutra. This is a great spot for interesting industry articles, as well as a good spot for news. Also where to go if you are looking at job listings. I usually visit this site several times a day and I'm always perusing their backlogs for good stuff.

Next up, my favorite video game blog of multiple updates a day, Kotaku. Home of several writers, Kotaku is another more frequently updated place to find your video game news. It also allows for reader comments, meaning you can get your fill of fanboyish glee at the foibles of whichever console happens to be foibling at the moment. Originally I was a bit put off, because of the far less formal nature of Kotaku, which belies their extremely high quality journalism. Seriously, check out some of their heavier hitting pieces.

On to my favorite blogger, who I believe I've mentioned not once, not twice, but thrice; N'Gai Croal of Newsweek. His blog is called LevelUp and is possibly the best place to go if you want to see what game journalism could be. N'Gai does a great job of delivering both hard hitting interviews and ruminations on the nature of gaming itself.

Another blogger, who is inextricably connected to N'Gai via their excellent Vs. Mode exchanges is the full time video games reporter for MTV news, Stephen Totilo. His blog, which just recently became a group blog of MTV staffers, is found here. He is another wonderful journalist who covers not just what games are, but what they can be in a way similar to Mr. Croal.

Whatabout podcasts you say? Gamasutra has several amazing podcasts, both from GDC sessions and those just involving interviews run by Tom Kim, who is amazing. I also listen to a wide variety of the 1up.com podcasts, from the wonderful 1up Yours to the much more zany GFW radio, home of the irascible Jeff Green.

Finally, if you really want to dive headfirst into the gaming culture, check out NeoGaf. This is where you will find posts from all manner of intelligent gamers, as well as the rabid fanboys of the various consoles. NeoGaf is a far more daunting site, one I have yet to wade into. I've merely dipped my toe in its chilly waters.

P.S. Penny-Arcade is funny, really funny. They don't always know what they are talking about, but then who does?

All in all a worthwhile list for anyone who wants to know more about the industry on a regular basis. Not to mention it lets me post without actually posting any new information. How's that for awesome!?

No comments: